What is DentoGenTM?
DentoGen is an FDA-approved medical-grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate for bone regeneration in dental applications, including dental implants. It is Bioresorbable and Osteoconductive, an Effective Hemostatic, Easy to Handle and Place , Acts as a Soft Tissue Barrier , Improves Implant Osseointegration , Cost-Effective
DentoGenTM Promotes Bone Regeneration in a Wide Range of Clinical Situations, Including: Post-extraction, Infra-osseous defects, Apicoectomy Root perforations, Open apices, Dehiscences and fenestrations, and Sinus lifts.
Extensive research and use have demonstrated that calcium sulfate hemihydrate enhances bone regeneration by releasing calcium ions which combine with phosphate ions from body fluid to form a calcium phosphate trellis, a bioactive and osteoconductive bone scaffold.
See DentoGenTM in Action
DentoGen shown here being applied to the buckle in an implant surgery.
DentoGen is used here as a bone grafting material
Bioresorbable and Osteoconductive
As it resorbs, a calcium phosphate lattice forms which serves as an excellent scaffold for new bone growth. Resorbs at a rate of approximately 1mm/week.
An effective hemostatic agent to help control bleeding. Sprinkle powder in defect to stop bleeding.
Easy to Handle and Place
Once DentoGenTM is mixed with the setting solution it is easily molded and placed into the defect.
Soft Tissue Barrier
Once DentoGenTM acts as a guided tissue regeneration material by preventing growth of soft tissue into bone defects.
Improves Implant Osseointegration
DentoGenTM can be used with dental implants to improve their osseointegration.
Often, the high cost of other graft materials discourages their utilization in large defects. DentoGenTM is cost effective even in large defects and performs well when combined with other graft materials like allograft or autograft.
DentoGen is an FDA approved medical grade calcium sulfate hemihydrate for bone regeneration in dental applications, including dental implants. It can also be used in combination with dental implants to improve their osseointegratation.
Calcium sulfate has a 110 years long history of use as a bone regeneration material. It has been extensively studied for bone regeneration purposes in many animal models and human clinical studies in the United States and Europe.
DentoGen is allowed for marketing by US FDA as a bone graft by itself, in combination with other bone graft materials and as a barrier membrane. In other words, you can graft with any material of choice and then layer DentoGen over the graft instead of having to fit a membrane fragment. It makes covering the graft much easier. In fact, after covering the graft site with DentoGen, primary closure is not required. This makes for an easier and more cost effective bone grafting procedure.
Example Uses for Dental Implants
Dehiscence and fenestrations: reconstruct the bone continuity with DentoGen. Allow it to harden using the FAST SET liquid and suture.
Mini sinus lifting: before inserting the implant, fill the bone area with DentoGen, pressing with an appropriate instrument and pushing the material so that the membrane is raised. Then insert the implant.
Great sinus lifting: DentoGen can be used as a single implant material or as a matrix mixed with autologous or heterologous bone.
Fresh Socket Filling around dental implants: DentoGen can be used post-extraction as described above with immediate placement of an endosseous implant.
- Download Clinical Articles on Dentogen (PDF download)
- Biological Mechanisms of Calcium Sulfate Replacement by Bone: Ricci J.L., Alexander H., Nadkarni P., Hawkins M., Turner J., Rosenblum S., Brezenoff L., DeLeonardis D., Pecora G. Bone Engineering, Edited By J. Davies; 2000; 332-344. This paper discusses how calcium sulfate is replaced by bone after being grafted in the bone defect.
- Bone Regeneration With A Calcium Sulfate Barrier: Gabriele Pecora., MD, Sebastiano Andreana, Joseph E. Margarone III, Ugo Covani, John S. Sottosanti. (Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997;84:424-9).
This paper discusses the effective use of calcium sulfate as a barrier in female Sprague Dawley rats. Link to Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9347509
- Bone Regeneration With Calcium Sulfate:
Evidence For Increased Angiogenesis In Rabbits. Strocchi R, Orsini G, Iezzi G, Scarano A, Rubini C, Pecora G. Journal of Oral Implantology 2002, 28, 5. This study shows the significantly increased presence of micro blood vessels in defects that were grafted with calcium sulfate as compared to those grafted with autograft, indicating the angiogenic properties of calcium sulfate. Link to Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12498535
- Migration of Human Gingival Fibroblasts Over Guided Tissue Regeneration Barrier Material:
Payne J, Cobb C, Rapley J, Killoy W, Spencer P. J Periodontol 1996;67:236-244.
This study discusses and compares the growth of fibroblasts on different barrier membranes (PLA, ePTFE or calcium sulfate) and shows that calcium sulfate is effective as a barrier membrane. Link to Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8708955
- Response of a Calcium Sulfate Bone Graft Substitute in a Confined Cancellous Defect:Walsh W., Morberg P., Yu Y., Yang Y, Haggard W., Sheath P, Svehla M, and Bruce W. J. M. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 2003; 406: 228-236.This paper discusses the molecular mechanism through which calcium sulfate acts as a bone graft. There was increased local acidity, which led to demineralization of the surface layer of surrounding bone. This led to release of growth factors into the bone defect, which further stimulated bone formation. Link to Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12579023
Weight No Volume No Dimensions No Size No Manufacturer Orthogen
- Download Clinical Articles on Dentogen (PDF download)
- Safe and Predictable Review by Mike Chen, DMD, FICOI
"DentoGen® is a safe and predictable material to use. This product can be used in many different ways at a very reasonable cost. It is a necessary material for my grafting procedures."
Mike Chen, DMD, FICOI
Implant Dentist, San Jose, CA (Posted on 5/20/2014)
- Predictable outcomes for implant sites Review by Eric Poznyansky, DDS
"I have been using DentoGen® for the past two years and have been very satisfied with the results. Not only does it produce predictable outcomes for implant sites, but the product is also reasonably priced. I feel confident in the company’s research, data and support."
Eric Poznyansky, DDS
Implant Dentist, Brooklyn, NY (Posted on 5/20/2014)
- Highly Recommend DentoGen Review by I incorporate DentoGen® into every guided bone regeneration procedure that I provide for my patients. Over the last year, I have
"I incorporate DentoGen® into every guided bone regeneration procedure that I provide for my patients. Over the last year, I have been using DentoGen® alone as a graft material in Type I sockets. Orthogen, LLC provides an exceptional amount of material for a very reasonable cost. My immediate subjective results were ease of handling and better hemostasis at the wound site. The long-term objective results were observed on sites that were CAT scanned for implant placement. I highly recommend the use of DentoGen® in the courses I teach on guided bone grafting."
Robert M. Bagoff, DMD
Implant and Restorative Dentist, Livingston, NJ
(Posted on 5/20/2014)
- Very effective in small defects Review by Ziv Mazor, DMD
"I extensively use DentoGen® for the bone regeneration procedures I do in my practice. It is a very effective product by itself in small defects. Orthogen, LLC is staffed with smart professionals who develop superior products and provide them at a very reasonable cost."
Ziv Mazor, DMD
Periodontist, Ra’anana, Israel
(Posted on 5/20/2014)
- Excellent material Review by John Sottosanti, DDS
"DentoGen® is an excellent medical-grade calcium sulfate to mix with any bone graft material or to use as a barrier for predictable bone regeneration."
John Sottosanti, DDS, Periodontist,
La Jolla, CA (Posted on 5/20/2014)